Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Unveiling

Mayor Slay, myself, airport Dir. Rhonda Hamm-Niebruegge

An unobstructed view of the mural
 December 20, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. I was a very excited artist, it was the unveiling of my glass mural design.  It was a year ago that I created a mock up for the design and was off to Munich, Germany to work with glass artist to recreate that design in glass. The design is called 'A Whimsical View', it is what I call the deconstruction of a quilt. 

I am so thankful that I didn't listen to the voices in my head oh so many years ago about living my dream as an artist. I gave up a job in social work that I was not happy with. I buried my desire to be who I was meant to be, and paid dearly for it, because I was constantly in and out of the hospital. While laying up in the hospital in 1978, I vowed that once I was home and recuperated I would enroll in college. It was not to become an artist, it was to learn techniques, terminology, and to be around like minded individuals.  And I can say today, that I am so thankful that I took that step. I am now living my authenic self and enjoying every creative moment of it. My art has been such a blessing to me and for me and I give thanks daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment